Post Office / Postmaster / Mail Delivery History – Sussex, Lisbon,Colgate, Lake Five, Lannon

      Comments Off on Post Office / Postmaster / Mail Delivery History – Sussex, Lisbon,Colgate, Lake Five, Lannon


Post Offices, Postmasters, Mail Carriers and Mail DeliveryHistory for Sussex, Lisbon, Lake Five, Colgate, Templeton, and Lannon, Waukesha County,Wisconsin

by Mike Reilly, Editor, January 8, 2004,Revised 09/16/2007

also see The Postal System in the Wisconsin Territory: Early Milwaukee County; Waukesha County and the Sussex-Lisbon Area

1911 – Unknown Men, possibly railroad employees

Backside of above postcard

Lisbon Post Office Dates Back 150 Years

by Fred H. Keller

    Source: TheFirst 150 Years, Lisbon-Sussex, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, 1986, page 15. Additionalnotes/commentary/obituary added by website editor, Mike Reilly

The post office is a central attraction in any community. Inthe 150 years that Lisbon-Sussex has existed there have been five different postoffices within the confines of the 36 square mile township. The order that theyappeared were: Lisbon in 1846, Sussex in 1851, Lake Five in 1855, Colgate(Station) in 1887 and Templeton (East Sussex) in 1889. Today the only two ofthese post offices that are still left are in
Sussex and Colgate, and Colgate has jumped across the county line to theWashington County side of the road.

The first Lisbon post office was the home of James Weaver,considered the father of Lisbon-Sussex. it was near present day Halquist Quarry.Levi Russell, who started a business center at the intersection of present dayCounty Highway K and Highway 164 (Highway 74 in 2004) was the next postmaster.He had a store and a shoe shop at the four corners and a church was on thenorthwest corner, but all all gone today.

James Weaver was the first Postmaster, andhad the office at his home on the old farm on Section 35. Subsequently, heresigned in favor of his son, Thomas Weaver, from whom, in 1849, the office wastransferred to Sussex, and Richard Cooling became Postmaster. Mr. Cooling heldit for two years, when it passed into the hands of William Weaver, where itremained until 1861, when Mr. Cooling again came into possession of the office,and held it until 1878

    He then resigned in favor ofhis son-in-law, Mr. Templeton , who has had charge of it since {Note: c. 1886.Mr. Templeton was the postmaster at Sussex when the Soo Line was built throughEast Sussex and when he moved over to his new home. He wanted to move the postoffice over, too, but Sussex protested that it was too far out of the way. Mr.Templeton had grown to be a power in local politics then, so he had a new postoffice established, had it named Templeton and had the railroad change thestation name from East Sussex to Templeton.

Q: How were postmastersappointed and what were the necessary qualifications? 

A: From 1836 to 1971,postmasters at the larger post offices were appointed by the President, by andwith the consent of the Senate. Postmasters earning less than $1,000 per yearwere appointed by the Postmaster General, generally upon the advice of the localcongressman or townspeople. Regulations required that postmasters execute avalid bond and take an oath of office, thus minors and aliens were ineligible.Prior to 1971, it was also required that postmasters live in the delivery areaof their post office. Since 1971, postmasters have been selected on the meritsystem.

The list of postmaster appointments for Lisbon are:
James Weaver                        Feb 26, 1846
Levi Russell                           May 29, 1849
Thomas Weaver                    June 11, 1853
Abel Kay                                May 22, 1862
Larence Russell                    Aug. 7, 1862
Thomas Paine                        July 15, 1863

Post office discontinued Aug. 28, 1863

Q: Why were post officesdiscontinued? 

A: According to the 1897Annual Report of the Postmaster General, “In cases where an office ceasesto be a public necessity, or it is impossible to secure a suitable postmaster,the office is discontinued….” The number of post offices peaked in 1901at 76,945; the number sharply declined in the ensuing decade, due to the spreadof rural free delivery. Changes in demographics and transportation patterns havecontributed to a gradual decline in the number of post offices. At the end ofthe fiscal year 2000, there were 27,876 independent post offices.

The next post office started was in Sussex with the firstsettler here, Richard Cooling, a blacksmith and general store owner being thefirst postmaster.

Q: How were post offices established? 

A: Citizens of a community who desired anew post office generally submitted a request to the Post Office Departmentstating reasons why they thought a post office should be established, the numberof patrons who would be served, and the names
proposed for the post office. Other factors considered were the nearness ofexisting postal units and the relative cost involved, including the estimatedexpense of mail transportation to the proposed office.

The list of postmasters and their appointments are:
Richard Cooling                    Jan. 6, 1851
William Brown                      Dec. 10, 1852
William Weaver                    June 23, 1853
Richard Cooling                    July 29, 1861
Edward Champeney              July 24, 1866

New Post-Offices
Sussex, Waukesha co., Rich’d [Richard] Cooling, Postmaster
Source: Daily Free Democrat, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, January 27, 1851

New Post Offices have recently been established in this State, as follows:
At Sussex, Waukesha County – Richard Cooling, Postmaster.
Source: Weekly Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 26, 1851, also the Wisconsin Statesmen, Madison, Wisconsin, February 18, 1851

According to the Waukesha Freeman, Aug.14, 1866, “Edward Champeney, conservative republican, is appointedPostmaster at Sussex vs R. Cooling, radical republican”.

Richard Cooling                    March 1, 1867
James Templeton                  July 1, 1878

Waukesha Freeman, Aug 13, 1885; JamesTempleton, our worthy postmaster, has been quite sick for the past week. He istroubled with asthma”.
David P. Topping                 Feb. 27, 1886
Thomas Campbell                Jan. 31, 1890
Andrew Ennis                        May 3, 1873

    Lisbon – “Our worthy mail carrier,T. Lewis, is looking very downcast either over the dry weather, or because themail arrives at Sussex Station on the Wisconsin Central”. Source: WaukeshaFreeman, Sept. 2, 1886, page 8.

     TROUBLE AT SUSSEX – It wants to Stay Sussex and not Become Templeton
Sussex people are much agitated over a proposed change intheir post office. The railway station of Sussex is some distance from thelittle town, and the projectors of the new scheme want to bring the post officeto the station and hang its name to Templeton. Old residents of the place whogave it its name and have got their mail there for forty years are highlyindignant over the proposed change.

They held a mass-meeting there on Monday evening thatattracted a large crowd of people, and at which the following remonstrance,addressed to the Postmaster general, was presented and unanimously adopted.

Resolved, That we, the patrons of the Sussex post office, inmass-meeting assembled do most earnestly and empathically protest andremonstrate against the change of name and removal of said Sussex post office,and we do further look upon the change of name as a perfect insult and anoutrage both on us now living and on our fathers now dead, and we do mostrespectfully and earnestly the post0office department of the United States notto change the name or location of the said Sussex post-office”. Source:Waukesha Freeman, March 28, 1889.

James A. Elliott                      May 11, 1894

“Thomas Campbell has been appointedpostmaster Sussex, in place of J. A. Elliott, removed.” Source: TheWaukesha Freeman, February 17, 1898, page 1.

Thomas Campbell                Feb. 14, 1898

    Sussex – “Our enterprisingpostmaster, Thomas Campbell, will spend the coming spring and summer in thehighlands of Scotland”. Waukesha Freeman Jan. 31, 1891″ 

Sussex -“For several months past the citizens in this vicinity have complainedincessantly of the irregularity with which we receive our mail through theMenomonee Falls Railroad and an item of great interest to everyone is thechange soon to take place in the mail route. After Dec. 1st, the mail will becarried twice daily from Templeton as formerly, from the Wisconsin Centraldepot. Thomas Campbell will be the carrier”. Source: Waukesha Freeman, Nov.19, 1896, page  5.

“OnThursday last, Thomas Campbell, postmaster at Sussex, died, ages 70 years,leaving a widow and one son to mourn his death. The funeral occurred on Sunday at2 o’clock p.m. The Rev. Mr. Holmes officiated.

Mr. Campbell was in poor health for several months and it wassupposed that he was suffering from cancer of the stomach, but a post mortem examination proved the diagnosis to be incorrect. Mr. Campbell came to theunited States during the 50’s. He was a worthy citizen and was honored in thecommunity where he resided”. Source; The Waukesha Freeman, Oct. 12, 1899,page 1.

Donald R. Campbell            Oct. 24, 1899

“Our mail carrier, Chas. Weaver, ongoing to the stable Saturday morning found his horse had broken his leg. Thehorse was killed.” Source: Waukesha Freeman, August 6, 1903, page 5.

Postmasters Who Have Served Since Office Was Established in ’51

The sketches of post offices which have beendiscontinued by reason of the introduction of free rural delivery recentlyprinted in these columns have aroused general interest in the subject of thepost offices of the county, and we have received data concerning the Sussexoffice, which fortunately is not among the discontinued, but yet exists andflourishes. The Sussex office was established in 1851, with William weaver, Sr.,as postmaster, E. Champeney served as deputy. In 1861 Richard Cooling wasappointed and served until 1866, when Edward Champeney was appointed and servedabout three months. He was removed and Mr. Cooling again appointed. Mr. Coolingand his son-in-law held the office until Cleveland’s first election, when D. P.Topping was appointed. After Harrison’s election Thomas
Campbell was appointed. When Cleveland came in the second time Andrew Ennis wasappointed. He died in about three months and J. A. Elliott was his successor.After McKinley’s election Thomas Campbell was made postmaster. He served threeyears and then died. His son, D. R. Campbell, was selected for the place andstill holds the office.
We are indebted to ex-postmaster, J. A. Elliott for the abovefacts.
Source: Waukesha Freeman, August 20, 1903, page 6.


Donald Ross Campbell, a resident of Waukesha county for oversixty years passed away at his home, 1005 Beechwood avenue Friday eveningfollowing a lingering illness.

Mr. Campbell was best known in the northern section of thecounty where he came having settled with his parents in the Village of Sussex,town of Lisbon when a young lad (Editor’s note – He was born in Port Washington,Ozaukee County, Wisconsin). Here Mr. Campbell was educated in the village schoolof Sussex following which he learned the blacksmith trade carrying on thisbusiness in Sussex for many years.

In 1900, his father who was serving as postmaster in thevillage died and Donald was appointed postmaster to succeed him. He held theoffice for several years. (Editor’s note: his wife Ella succeeded him aspostmaster or postmistress on July 1, 1915 until March 1919, possibly due to hishealth condition or his pursuit of another career?)

The deceased married Ella Simmons, who with two children,Mrs. William Howard of  Lisbon, and Hugh of Indiana survive. Two daughtersWinfred and Mildred preceded him in death.

    About six years ago Mr. Campbell removed to Waukesha andbecame associated in the insurance business. Failing health in the last fewyears kept him inactive in business circles, however, Mr. Campbell was a memberof the Sussex Masonic chapter.

The funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 1o’clock from the residence and at 2 o’clock from St. Alban’s Church in Sussex.Burial will be in St. Alban’s cemetery.”. Source: Waukesha Daily Freeman,Saturday,
September 19, 1925, page 1, col. 1.

Ella S. Campbell                    July 1, 1915
Claribel R. Boots                   March 5, 1919
Pearl E. Boots                         Nov. 1, 1926
John P. Stier                            May 30, 1934

“The Sussex Post Office, which forso many years has been located in the Fred Boots store, has been moved into theeast part of the George Lees store building. John Stier, new postmaster, assumedcharge of his new duties on Monday morning”. Source: The Waukesha Freeman,July 7, 1934


“John J. Stier, veteran postmaster at Sussex, Wis., diedsuddenly at 4 p.m. Monday while sorting mail. Death was attributed to a heartattack. Mr. Stier had been in poor health for the past several weeks.

Surviving Mr. Stier are his wife (Emma), who was helping himwith the mail at the time of the fatal seizure; one son, Robert; four daughters,Marjorie, Katherine, Betty, and Mary Anna; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Manke,Sussex; one brother, Jacob Stier, Alberta, Canada.

Mr. Stier was prominent in many public offices. He taughtschool for a number of years, served as the town chairman of Lisbon, clerk ofSussex school board, president of the Sussex Co-operative company, and heldseveral other responsible positions. He was at one time a candidate for thestate assembly.

Funeral services will be held for him Thursday at 1:30 his home. Masons will have charge of the arrangements”. Source: TheWaukesha Freeman, December 23, 1936

Emma K. Stier                        Jan. 5, 1937
Pearl E. Boots                         March 1, 1940
Arthur Bauer                          June 30, 1950 – Retired July 31, 1970

Arthur E. Bauer confirmed as Sussexpostmaster, had been acting,  Waukesha Freeman  March 11, 1955
Raymond Hein                      Aug. 1, 1970 (Officer-in-Charge)
Henry Schroeder                   April 8, 1971 (Officer-in-Charge)
Henry Schroeder                   June 26, 1971 (Postmaster) – Retired Oct. 9, 1975
Danny Fullerton                    Oct. 9, 1975 (Officer-in-Charge)

  • Nick C. Chapel                        May 30, 1986 (Officer-in-Charge)
  • Bernice V. Harris                     Aug. 30, 1986 (Postmaster)
  • Debbie J. Westphal                 May 14, 1997 (Officer-In-Charge)
  • Jackie Aszman                          Nov. 14, 1997 (Officer-In-Charge)
  • Kenneth J. Kolafa                     Mar. 14, 1998 (Postmaster)
  • Source: For recent entries since 1976

    Notable about this group is that several women have served aspostmaster with Pearl Boots serving the longest of any of the postmasters, 22years. She succeeded her sister Claribel in 1926. At the time she started, thepost office was in her father’s General Store, to the west of the four corners ofMaple and Main.

After serving eight years, from 1926 to 1934, John Stierwas appointed postmaster. After he died unexpectantly his wife, Emma, took over. Atthe time Stier was appointed, the post office left the old Sussex four cornersarea for the Main Street School area, locating in the George Lees General Storebuilding.

In 1940, Pearl Boots was again reappointed as postmasterand served an additional 14 years, retiring in 1956.

“Miss Pearl Boots assumed herduties as Postmistress of the Sussex post office on March 1. She is ablyassisted by Miss Ethel Weaver. Mrs. Emma Stier has been the acting *postmistresssince the death of her husband, then postmaster, a few years ago, Miss MargaretRies was her assistant”. Source: The Waukesha Freeman, March 6, 1940, page9.

    “Miss Pearl Boots, Sussexpostmistress, has been absent from her duties at the P. O., because of a severeattack of the flu. In her absence, Miss Doris Beier, assistant *postmistress,carried on very capably”. Source: The Waukesha Freeman, April 7, 1943.

*Q:How early did women serve as postmasters? 

A: Women have served as postmasterssince the Revolutionary War and even earlier, under British rule.”Postmaster,” and not “postmistress,” always has been theirofficial title.

The Lake Five post office was established on May 28, 1855,discontinued for a short time in 1860, and after restarting was againdiscontinued in 1866.
The postmasters were:
Patrick McGovern                    May 28, 1855
PO discontinued Oct. 13, 1860
PO reestablished Nov. 13, 1860
Patrick McGovern                    Nov. 13, 1860
Moved to Washington County Feb. 14, 1866

The Colgate post office was established in 1887 with thefirst postmaster, Andrew Ennis, Sr., operating out of the new Wisconsin CentralRailroad Depot. It remained on the Lisbon side of the county line until 1903when it made its move across tot he north side of the street (County Highway Q).
A list of the postmasters are:
Andrew Ennis, Sr.                       Jan. 11, 1887
August B. Henschel                    June 13, 1889
Max Manthey                              Aug. 30, 1898

Colgate – “Our post office was removed Oct 1st to itsnew quarters. Max Manthey will act as postmaster vica A. B. Henschel”.Source: The Waukesha Freeman, Oct. 6, 1898, page 6.

Albert E. Waudrey                      Feb. 2, 1903
Frank E. Stirn                               Aug 12, 1903

Moved to Washington County Dec. 15, 1903

Elfrieda A. Stirn                            Jan. 31, 1946
Elenore Christison                        Dec. 31, 1966 (Clerk-in-Charge)
Lynn Edward Burton                   March 10, 1967

Of note at the Colgate post office are the Stirns whoserved for 63 years, from 1903 to 1966.

Once there were several businesses inColgate, including general stores, a blacksmith, and a post office. From 1887 to1903 the post office was on the south side of County Line Road, and thereforewas in the Town of Lisbon. The Wisconsin Central Railroad depot was the originalpost office, where postmaster Andrew Ennis also acted as the depot agent.1902/Dec. – Max Manthey, Town of Lisbon Supervisor, dies after jumping from asecond story porch to escape his general store/post office disastrous fire. Thisevent led to the post office moving out of the Town into Washington County.Albert A. Audrey (?) was acting postmaster for a short time. After 1903, thepost office was established on the north side and has remained there since.Frank Stirn and later his wife, Elfrieda, ran the post office from 1903 to 1966.

With the coming of the Wisconsin Central Railroad in 1886there was a start up of a new village one mile east of the old four cornersSussex.

“The new post office established at Templeton willsoon be in running order with James Templeton as postmaster”. WaukeshaFreeman  Aug. 29, 1889

The old Sussex postmaster, James Templeton, came over tothe new village and as postmaster he chose his family name for the emergingvillage. Originally, the post office was on a back table in the village generalstore, but in 1911 it was moved to  the front west side of the store andboxes were put in for the patrons.

With the incorporation of Sussex and Templeton into onevillage in 1924, the days of having two post offices in one village werenumbered. The Templeton post office was discontinued April 30, 1932.

    “The Templeton PostOffice patrons have received notice that the Templeton Post office will bediscontinued, and on and after May 1 the address will be Sussex”. Source:The Waukesha Freeman, April 28, 1932

A list of Templeton postmasters includes:

James Templeton                July 18, 1889

Owen C. Smith                    Dec. 26, 1899

Frank F. Schroeder              May 12, 1911

Mary Schroeder                   Dec. 10, 1930

Discontinued April 30, 1932; mail was sentto Sussex.

Templeton was succeeded by Owen C. Smith as postmaster. In1907, Smith,
50, committed suicide in the general store-post office – 12 years after his wifekilled herself.

                       OWEN C. SMITH SUICIDES
Was Postmaster at Templeton, ThisCounty, Wife Also Suicide

Last Sunday morning, Owen C. Smith, postmaster at Templeton,and well known throughout this section, visited his store about seven o’clockand in a room in the rear of the store committed suicide by shooting himself
through the head with a revolver.
When Mr. Smith went to his store, he was accompanied by hisbrother, Cliff. The two went to different parts of the store and presently Cliffheard the report of a revolver. He rushed tot he side of his brother, who
had fallen to the floor and who expired almost immediately. O. C. Smith had beenin poor health and his mind had become affected. He had been at a Milwaukeesanitarium for treatment and returned last week. He leaves three children, twoboys and a girl, the eldest being a boy about fifteen years old.
Mrs. Smith committed suicide a dozen years or more ago, bytaking Paris green. She also had been in poor health.
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at theresidence, and at the Templeton M. E. church, the pastor of the churchofficiating. Corner Charles Hill will hold an inquest Friday afternoon atTempleton.
Mr. Smith had a large general store at Templeton, in whichthe post office was located. He is said to have carried about $12,500 lifeinsurance. Source: The Waukesha Freeman, Thursday, July 18, 1907, page 5


Frank Grogan has resigned asassistant rural route mail carrier on account of ill health. Waukesha Freeman,June 21, 1944

Lannon Postal History

includes Lannon Springs, Stone City andHadfield

    As excerpt from “Lannonand its quarries”, by Ruth Schmidt. printed in “Yesterday inSussex”, by Fred H. Keller, originally printed in the Sussex Sun,Tues. Feb. 28, 1978.

    At first the mail was brought to Stone City(Lannon) from Waukesha. When a carrier did not recognize an immigrant’s name, hewas advised to ask Bill Lannon, because, “Lannon knows everyone in thequarry.” It became a password, ” Take the mail over to Lannon.”,until Bill Lannon applied for a postal station at his farmhouse, June 11, 1864,under the name of Lannon Springs.

    Old records seem to indicate this station wasreally a private service to the community, as the application was granted withthe provision, “If the area was served by any other delivery at the time,the station would have to operate at no expense to the United States PostalDepartment.” This office was on Highway 74, about three quarters of a milewest of the present post office.

    In the records in the Lannon Post Office, in 1978, Keith Gissal found anapplication for a post office for this area, dated January 16, 1879, but therewas no record of any office opened. Old settlers tell how residents of StoneCity, Hadfield and Lannon Springs worked together to get a central post office.This may be the reason another application was made June 18, 1890, by O1aviusO1sen, and signed by the Templeton Postmaster. The name suggested on theoriginal application was “Hadfield” this was crossed out and”Stone City” was written in; this was also cross- ed out and the name”Lannon” was written over the other names. The application wasapproved and a post office established August 2, 1890, in Lannon.

    Generally,a post office’s establishment date is the date of appointment of its firstpostmaster. Typically there was up to a two-month delay between the appointmentof a postmaster and his or her first day in office. For example, AlfredHunnewell, appointed as the first postmaster of the Columbia, California, PostOffice on September 15, 1852, took office on November 16, 1852. Less typically -for example, at the Sacramento, California, Post Office – the first postmasterbegan serving before his appointment was officially recognized in Washington.

Olavius O1sen was the firstpostmaster, 

AbramHadfield              June 1891. 

John Flanagan Sr.           1893-1897, 

Augustus Hinner            1897-1905; 

George Loos                     1905-1912, 

Jack Flanagan (son of John Sr.) 1912-1949, 

John Walsh                      1949-1957 

Keith Gissal Acting Postmaster 08/09/1957 Keith Gissal Postmaster 07/23/1958 William S. Galbraith Officer-In-Charge 04/27/1984 John P. Eldridge Postmaster 08/18/1984 Susan E. Lierman Officer-In-Charge 07/26/1990 Susan E. Thiel Postmaster 02/09/1991 Gail Becker Officer-In-Charge 06/11/1996 Mark S. Kluge Postmaster 09/28/1996 Dale W. Nook Officer-In-Charge 03/13/1997 Dale W. Nook Postmaster 07/05/1997

Highlights of Lannon Postal History

1854/May 10 – William N. Lannon opens a post office, of sorts,on his Lannon Springs farm.
1864/June 11: William Lannon submits an application for a postal station at hisfarmhouse under the name Lannon Springs. This post office was about 3/4 of amile west of the present post office (Lannon and Good Hope Rds.) on Hwy 74.
1873 – Lannon Spring’s post office is discontinued and subscribers are told topick up their mail in Sussex or Duplainville. See 1878
1878 – The “Atlas of Wisconsin, 1878”, still shows a Lannon Springspost office.

1880/abt – Michael Keating, Sec. 30; P. O. Lannon Springs ispostmaster of same.
1890/June 18: Olavius Olsen submits an application for a post office first to benamed “Hadfield”, crossed out and “Stone City” added, to becrossed out with “Lannon” as the name finally submitted. Applicationwas approved on August 2nd.
1945/Apr. – Elizabeth Flanagan, wife of Lannon postmaster and grocery store owner, died after a couple days of illness.
1966 – at some earlier time, the Lannon Fire Dept bought the building, where thepresent Post Office is today, but they couldn’t make the mortgage payments, soPostmaster Keith Gissal and his wife stepped in and purchased the building andmoved the post office into it. For a while, the post office was even locatednext door to The Dugout non Lannon Rd (now a small apartment building).
1970/Apr. – The U.S. Postal Service was seeking a new post office in Lannon.They will be asking for proposals.
1990/1/2 – Lannon plans celebration of 100th Anniversary of its’ Post Officefounding and 60 years since it was incorporated as a village. John Eldridge isthe Postmaster; he took over for Keith Gissal in 1984.

More about Zip Codes

ZIP Codes are unofficial codes developed and designed by theU.S. Postal
Service solely for the purpose of delivering mail. Many people incorrectlybelieve that the ZIP Code area represents the community. In fact, there arenumerous instances of many named communities in a ZIP Code area in rural areas,and many ZIP Code areas in one community in urban areas. The ZIP Code area isnamed (usually unless there is duplication) for the most prominent community inthe ZIP Code area or which it serves. Also, many of the communities for whichthe ZIP Code area is named are not incorporated, which means they do not havelegal boundaries, and the ZIP Code boundary in no way indicates a legal”footprint” of that named community. Many people, however, doassociate with the ZIP Code in which they reside, however, ZIP Code boundariesare ephemeral and change periodically.

  Postal Use Commentary byYour Editor

    In 1880,three post offices served most of the Town of Lisbon after losing Lake Five’sand Colgate Station not existing yet. Even before the concept of RuralFree Delivery (RFD), the village or town, within a township didn’t mean itwas the only address for people living within the Town of Lisbon. People’saddresses tended to be the post office nearest to them. In 1880, this meantSussex, Merton, or Pewaukee (maybe Lannon Springs, or Duplainville).

    With the arrival of Rural FreeDelivery, Town of Lisbon residents lost more of their identity. Today, residentsare served by not only the post office in the Village of Sussex, but from thosein the Villages of Pewaukee, Hartland, and Merton, as well as the unincorporatedcommunity of Colgate in Washington County (perhaps even Lannon, Duplainville,or MenomoneeFalls).

    Years ago the post officebrought a community together, it was a meeting place, a place to exchangeinformation, and talk with neighbors, and perhaps purchase some groceries, orneeded hardware. In today’s world, the people’s post office choice to use isoften which is most convenient, on the way to work, or to the store, to stop at.

    Your website editor has one ofthe most extreme examples of post office address assignments. I have a Hartlandmailing address, though my home (in the Town of Lisbon) is twelve miles awayfrom the Hartland post office. Which post office location do I use the most,probably Sussex, followed by Pewaukee. Sussex is more the center of our socialactivity – grocery shopping, library, gas stations, haircuts, etc., whilePewaukee happens to be on the way to work for me. Sussex is 5 1/2 miles away,Pewaukee is 10; Merton about 7. The closest is Colgate, about 3 miles downthe road. Even the post offices at Hubertus, Menomonee Falls, Lannon, and NorthLake are closerthan Hartland. With a rural route such as ours, the service is usually quitegood, but come time when a package/letter has to be signed for and no one ishome, that 12 mile (one way) trip to Hartland is to say, inconvenient.

    It’s also very confusing forvisitors, often times ending up in Hartland looking for  a Highway 164address, and coming lost or bewildered. We also receive more promotionalmailings (mainly junk mail) for shopping and services in the the Hartland/Oconomowoc areas (that we hardly ever use) while missing important informationalmailings from Sussex and Lisbon, just because our address (and more importantlyour ZipCode) is Hartland.

    How could such a situationcome about? My understanding it was purely political, and postmaster empirebuilding that created the postal routes as they are today.

    Though it’s inconvenient attimes, the worst of it is the lost of community identity for myself andmany of our neighbors, and not just those with Hartland mailing addresses.

Note:  Certain Material on this web page is thecopyrighted property of the United States Postal Service® (Postal Service™).All rights reserved.

Note: Holdings and services in McIntyre Library’s Special Collections and AreaResearch Center (ARC) at University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire

  • Wisconsin Post Office Handbook (1988), James B. Hale HE6376 .A1 W64
  • Rural Branches of Wisconsin Post Offices (1979), Raymond Rhymer HE6363 .W6 R49